Mar 13, 2008

Eggplant Parmigiana





My last post talked about spring butI can hardly see any traces of spring in the city.This morning when I woke up I was surprised to see a thick shroud of snow everywhere.Where is the sun....its ages since I have seen and felt its warm golden rays and miss the warmth of the room as the rays filter through the french windows and create those dancing shadows on the wall.There are so many amazing and wonderful things that go unnoticed in our lives,it's the small things that we sometime take for granted without giving a second thought to appreciate their presence.
The weather out here has been very unpredictable these past few days and as I was reading Sia's post and came across the term global warming the first thing that came to my mind was a documentary film in National geographic that I was watching a few days back.The documentary was on global warming and its frightening repercussions.With global warming taking its toll the worst hit country would be India they claim,according to them within a span of 200 years all the glaciers in Himalayas would melt and the Ganges would transform into a desert.With so many people relying on the Ganga for their daily requirement of water,the consequence is horrifying.
I have been having this terrible stinging sensation in my throat since last night and my sixth sense says I am going to be down with a bad bout of cough and cold.My only concern is Mishti, my little one who is bound to pick up an infection from me....and with the mom and the child both sick and hubby dear tending to us, it's utter chaos in the house.I am just not looking forward to this:(



My post today is Eggplant Parmigiana,sliced eggplants fried,layered with creamy red and white sauce and baked with a sprinkling of cheese.The recipe is again a Nita Mehta's Italian collection, I specially
prepared it to send an entry for Creative Pooja's Vow Brinjal.

Eggplants is not a great favourite in my house but this delectable version with garlic bread and a greek salad was an immensely enjoyable meal.One more brinjal dish that we relish is "Baigana Bhaja" an oriya dish ,sliced brinjals marinated in turmeric,salt and chilli pwdr and deep fried or shallow fried in mustard oil.....this tastes ultimate with puris.You can check out the recipe Here.



you need:
1 big eggplant of round,oblong variety
2 cubes cheddar cheese(i used a russian cheese )
2 tbsp grated parmesan
oil for frying
tomato sauce:
2 large tomatoes,pureed
3 flakes garlic,crushed
8-10 basil leaves,chopped
1 tsp oregano,dried
1/2 tsp chilli pwdr
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp thick cream
1 tsp olive oil
white sauce:
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion,chopped
2 cups milk
1 tbsp thick cream
salt and pepper to taste
Method:
1. Slice the eggplants and sprinkle some salt and keep aside for 15 mins.Pat dry on akitchen towel and deep fry them in oil to a light brown colour.( I shallow fried them in olive oil)
2. For the tomato sauce,heat oil and fry the onions and garlic till it slightly changes colour.Add the rest of the ingredients except the cream and boil for 10 mins till the juice from the tomatoes evaporates and turns slightly thick.Remove from fire and add cream.
3. To prepare the white sauce melt the butter,add onion and stir till light pink.Sprinkle flour and cook on low heat for 2 mins,stirring throughout.Remove from heat and gradually add milk,mix until well blended.Return to heat and keep stirring until the sauce thickens.Remove from fire,add cream ,salt and pepper and mix well.
4. To assemble,spread 1/3 of the white sauce in a baking dish.
5. Place 1/2 of the eggplant slices on it,spread tomato sauce over the eggplants,sprinkle some parmesan cheese.
6. Repeat another layer of eggplants,top with the remaining white sauce and sprinkle both the cheddar and parmesan cheese.
7.Bake for 10 mins at 200 deg C till the cheese melts.

27 comments:

  1. Eggplant parmigiana and minestrone soup were the two dishes that I ate a lot of while pregnant......nice recipe....looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is delicious dish girl, it's my turn to say "Orrebaba"!!:D

    Great entry, I thought of making Begun Bhaja for RCI Bengal and then I didn't have Begun at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious, nice and different recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love brinjal ...This is awesome ..Today i have posted my recipe too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Italian version of eggplant :) Poor girl no sunlight, The cold is always depressing :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the Eggplant Parmigiana! Looks so delicious! Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love these...looks delicious and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow looks wonderfull delicious. yumm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you feel better soon and the cold keeps off your family! Give me the heat any day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't cook with eggplant very often, but this recipe sounds really yummy. I think I should make an effort to explore this vegetable more often. Thanks for this recipe.

    By the way, I hope you will submit a spicy vegetarian soup to this month's No Crouton's Required!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..This dish is my favourite and I have had them only at the restaurants..Nice u made it at home..I am trying this soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks gooey and delicious!! Nice one, Saswati! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not had this before...but then this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can Iasl say "Orebaba" ??? :D.
    This is a wonderful dish Saswati.
    You made this in spite of you not being so well ? As pecial thanks to you and a tight hug to make you feel better.
    Don't worry you will not get this cold :) . love to your little one, Misti - what a lovley name :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds delicious - Eggplant Parm is one of my favorites!

    I so hear you on thew Global Warming thing - it is terrible and we can all do something about it! I just wrote about similar issues on my blog today!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that looks so good!
    hope you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for the nice and supportive comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks saswati for visiting my page. The eggplant recipe looks real nice. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so delicious and comforting.
    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey thanks Vandana...this is the same dish that i had made for you guys in Vizag.

    Smn thanx alot.

    Nupur thanx for dropping by.yes I am already feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey...even I submitted a similar dish :) Your dish looks delicious!

    http://homecooked.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, I am tagging you for 8*8*8 MeMe, only if you are interested. Didn't find ur email so writing here. if MeMe is not ur cup of tea, please ignore it. Reading ur comments, I thought u may like it.
    Details -
    http://enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/03/888-meme.html

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails