Apr 4, 2010

Southern Italian Soup and a memorable birthday

When I was a little girl March was the favourite time of the year for me as mine and my sister's birthday fall in this month.As time flew priorities shifted from myself to hubby and now the children and strangely the favourite months have also changed. I still remember those years, the night before my birthday I would have butterflies in my stomach and usually the earliest one to wake up that day, a feeling of insane anticipation.When did that feeling disappear? It's not that I don't enjoy my birthday anymore but I guess, I am not overwhelmed by an uncontainable excitement anymore. Since  my 30th birthday I have started dreading  March as I feel that with each passing year I am losing those golden years of my life. Insecurities!! I constantly keep on chiding myself  to shed these insecurities and cherish old moments and look forward for some new experiences and anticipation in life.
This year was really special and memorable as I had all my near and dear ones celebrating my birthday as  I completed one more year in the span of life, a new milestone towards eternity. My mom, dad, hubby, my children, my sis in-law, my sister and her husband with gifts, surprises, cakes, shopping, treat...my god!....I felt like a little girl again after all those years. Thank you everybody, love you all!!
I am posting one of my favourite,hassle free soups, a Sanjeev Kapoor creation. The soup is full of veggies, screams health, a stomach filler and a keeper for sure. The fresh basil and the celery stalks impart a herby aroma to the soup. This soup has been made so many times as dinner at my place that the recipe is known by heart now. I have tweaked it many a times by adding mushrooms and boiled chicken or with chopped chicken loaf  but the recipe posted here is a pure veg one.
You need:
Carrot  - 1 medium chopped finely
Potatoes - 2 medium diced finely
Cabbage - 1/4 small sized ,cut into small dices
Tomatoes - 2 medium sized
Onion   - 1 medium chopped finely
Garlic   - 4 cloves chopped fine
Celery  - 1 inch stalk chopped fine
Fresh Basil - 6-8 leaves chopped(reserve some for garnish)
Olive oil  - 1 tsp 
Macaroni - 1/4 cup
Veg stock or water - 4 cups (can prepare veg stock with Maggi or knorr cubes)
Salt and pepper to taste, preferably white pepper pwdr
Method:
  1. Blanch the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes, peel deseed and puree them.
  2. Heat olive oil in a pan,add onion and garlic and saute till translucent.
  3. Add celery, carrot and potato pieces. Stir continuously and cook for five minutes.
  4. Add cabbage, tomatoes and cook stirring continuously.
  5. Add salt, pepper, basil and macaroni, stir and add 4 cups of vegetable stock or water and bring it to a boil.
  6. Lower the heat and simmer till the vegetables are cooked and the soup has thickened.
  7. Garnish with fresh basil and serve hot with some dinner rolls.

You can put dry basil if fresh basil is not available. Enjoy!


19 comments:

  1. The soup sounds fantastic and I'm glad you had a memorable birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saswati welcome to my blog and leaving such a sweet comment.You r welcome always.You too have a nice space here.hoping to see u more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Saswati, Thanks for ur wishes. Belated birthday wishes to you, hope u had a wonderful time receiving gifts and etc ... Soup looks inviting. will peek in here often..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! glad you enjoyed your birthday with loved ones! Italian Soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a filling and delicious Soup Saswathi..looks prefect..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Saswati. many happy returns of the day.

    http://ruchikacooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooow!!! soup looks perfect and my Belated B'day wishes to you!! Saswathi.. Hope u enjoyed a lot with ur family on ur bday,,,thanks for sharing dear,,take care n keep on smiling,,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Happy birthday wishes! Sounds u had a blast!
    Lovely soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @peggy Thanx !
    @ kitchen queen my pleasure and thank you.
    @ sashi thanks for the wishes...do visit..u are welcome:)
    @ jagruti the soup is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @priya it is a very filling soup
    @Ruchika thanks for the wishes!
    @Satya this b'day was really special
    @ cham thanx dear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated birthday wishes !!!!

    soup looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a hearty and healthy soup.My 1st visit here following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liked your write up .. btw belated birthday wishes :)

    you have got a nice space around, you might see me often here :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rather belated birthday wishes to you, Saswathi.
    So this year's celebrations were even more special. :)

    Didn't know you were in Vasco.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, the soup looks so filling and tasty..glad you had a great birthday..

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday, and this soup sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday, and I love the sound of this soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Sasawati..I'm glad you visited me as this gave me the perfect opportunity to know you a little bit at at time..post by post...LOL Love this soup..and my both my kids love soup..Also I am a huge fan of Sanjeev kapoor's as well..Beautiful click. I'm gald you had a memorable b'day surrounded by the people you love..Happy Belated Birthday to YOU !!!. Love to ur Mishti and little tweety..

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Sarah Thanx dear
    @simply.food i hope you keep on visiting for more
    @kanchan you are welcome
    @ aparna nice to see somebody from goa:)
    @deepa and katie thanx for the wishes
    @ dolly gr8 to hear from you.thanx

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails