Oct 14, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Chimichangas


My younger one has been blessed with a strong ,deep rooted sweet tooth genetically passed on to her from the father.To satisfy her sweet cravings becomes a Herculean task for me ..breakfast,lunchbox,post lunch and dinner,the TV time snacking every single meal needs to have a sugary sweet element in it.When the cravings had crossed limits and I could foresee future health problems I put my foot down and had stopped making anything sweet at home except some occasional knick knacks which I could successfully hide from her in the secret niches and corners only known to me.Never in my wildest dreams had I thought that I had to be creative regarding hiding places for the sugary sweet nothings.After one whole week of deprivation finally two days back I gave in and made these Mexican ,melt in the mouth sugar coated chimichangas as a sweet treat and reward for exceptionally matured behaviour which took me by surprise too.We can't expect impeccable manners and excellent behaviour from a six year old but sometimes she does start pushing my buttons.

Before the conversation meanders to a different path I will log off here with the recipe of those Chimichangas.My little one still cannot pronounce it...after a day they became " pichitankas "in her memory's dictionary.

Chimichanga is a burrito filled with your choice of fillings,sweet or savoury,and deep fried to a golden perfection.I had a small box of frozen apple pie filling peeking from my freezer which I used as filling for the flour tortillas,folded them into burritos and shallow fried them.The final step was to dust them with powdered cinnamon sugar.


You Require
For the Tortillas(8- 10)
2C flour
1/4 C veg shortening /veg oil/olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 - 3/4 C warm water
For the apple pie Filling
3 big Apples,peeled and chopped
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

1C oil for frying
2-3 tbsp powdered cinnamon sugar for dusting










Method
For the tortillas

  • Sift the flour,baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix the shortening or oil with your fingertips to combine.
  • Add the warm water gradually and work into a soft dough,cover and keep for 30 mins.
  • Roll out 8 medium sized round tortillas with the dough and cook them on a griddle till brown spots appear.Cover the dough with a damp tea towel as you cook the tortillas.
  • Don't overcook as they will become dry and butter them and wrap them in a tea towel as you cook the other tortillas.
  • For the apple filling
  • Sauté the chopped apples in butter for few minutes till  they become little soft.
  • Add the sugar and cinnamon and let it cook for 3-4 minutes till the sugar is caramelised and the mixtures becomes little saucy.
  • For the Chimichangas
  • In a tortilla lay out enough filling so that you can fold it into a burrito easily.
  • Fold opposite sides over the filling and roll up from the bottom like a burrito.
  • Place with the seam side down in a fry pan with pre heated oil,fry in a low flame,turn the other side when golden brown.( I shallow fried it with 3-4 tbsp of oil)
  • Alternately brush with melted butter and bake at 200 deg C for 20 mins or till golden brown.
  • Dab the extra oil with a tissue from the fried chimichangas and dust with powdered cinnamon Sugar.
  • Cut into halves and serve hot with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream .
  • Enjoy the divine Pichitankas oops sorry Chimichangaswith the saucy apples oozing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS

Related Posts with Thumbnails